Tips for Avoiding Pest Problems at Your Outdoor BarbecuesIn Summer on July 10, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Written by admin
Outdoor barbecues and gatherings are a staple of the summer season as many people gather in the backyards of friends and family to enjoy good food and good weather. However, many of these backyard barbecues also include unwanted guests such as ants, flies, mosquitoes, and other pests that could crash the party. Keeping your barbecue free of these pests will allow you and your guests to have a more enjoyable time but this can be somewhat difficult to do.
“It can be a challenge to avoid pests when spending long periods of time outdoors, as some are attracted to typical barbecue fare and others are active at night when people tend to fire up the grill,” according to the National Pest Management Association vice president of public affairs Missy Henriksen. “If people follow some simple tips, like wearing insect repellant and keeping food covered, they can enjoy the summer season without worry.”
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has recently released the following advice to help keep your summer barbecues pest free.
- Before your gathering, inspect the screens on your doors and windows for any holes and repair them. Make sure the door stays shut as your guests begin to arrive.
- Use insect repellant and have it available for your guests to use.
- Many stinging insects such as yellow jackets are attracted by potent fragrances so avoid wearing cologne or perfume and use lotions or sunscreen that are unscented.
- Serve drinks to your guests in clear plastic cups because stinging insects like wasps can hide in an aluminum can.
- Place citronella candles around your yard to help keep mosquitoes away.
- Serve the food and drinks inside and use your outdoor space for eating and socializing.
- Clean all spills quickly to avoid attracting pests.
- Make sure your garbage is tightly sealed and kept away from the party.
- Bring all dishes inside immediately after eating.
As you plan your next barbecue this summer, make sure to follow these tips to help keep any unwanted guests from invading the party. It will be worth these extra efforts to host and enjoy a pest free barbecue. If you would like to learn more about how to protect your yard from pests or about professional pest control services, contact the pest control experts of Green T Pest Control.Comment »